Central Games Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GameMaker TowerDefense

2 posters

Go down

GameMaker TowerDefense Empty GameMaker TowerDefense

Post by Gamerz Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 am

Along with Coughin05, I am working on a tower defense using the GameMaker style. This was originally Coughin05's idea, but I'm not so sure about a platform tower defense. It wouldn't be much of a platformer, but I think it's enough to throw off the playability and appeal of the game.

His idea is to have the top 2/3 of the screen used for turret placement, while the bottom third would be where the enemies walk accross the screen and towards the toolbar (the objective). Now, this could leave the top turrets doing nothing unless we remove the range element completely, and give the turrets the abilty to attack enemies no matter where they are.

My idea was to use the first 2/3 of the left side of the area, and have enemies come in from random areas on the right and attempt to get through the turrets and get to the sidebar. Turrets will have a limiter stopping them from creating a line and removing the possibility of enemies getting through. BUT, even if this occurs, the enemies have the ability to shoot turrets as well and destroy them.

I eventually offered to combine the 2 modes into the game, and Coughin agreed. I do not fully support this idea, since range would play a very small role unless we added an area on the top for the enemies to walk on. Plus, I like the idea of the enemies attacking the turrets while the turrets are attacking the enemies. This just SCREAMS "CCCHHHAAAOOOOSSS!!!!" to me.

I just want to know what everyone else thinks about the platformer TD, and whether it sounds like a good idea. Even if it doesn't, we'll probably keep the option anyways, but I just want to see how popular the idea is.

Regardless of what everyone thinks, I will probably release a Beta for the Classic (My version) style of the game around Friday... so long as I can get permission from Coughin. It IS, afterall, HIS idea. He has his moments... about once a minute.
Gamerz
Gamerz

Number of posts : 38
Warning :
GameMaker TowerDefense Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100GameMaker TowerDefense Right_bar_bleue

GameMaker TowerDefense Left_bar_bleue20 / 10020 / 100GameMaker TowerDefense Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

GameMaker TowerDefense Empty Re: GameMaker TowerDefense

Post by Lyoden Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:02 am

I've never been much for TD but it does sound kinda interesting. I suppose my brother would like it. It kinda reminds me a little of the fox and the sheep game I used to play with my school mates when I was a kid ^_^ . And since the enemies will be able to attack the towers it will add more strategy to it. I'm pretty sure that this could become a good game. Just don't finish it too early. Take good time in the making of it. Oh, and of course, Good luck.

Lyoden

Male
Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Games :P
Warning :
GameMaker TowerDefense Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100GameMaker TowerDefense Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamerz Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 pm

I've had to remove the original upgrading system, where certain aspects of a turret were upgraded one at a time. The problem is that each turret has it's own special defenses, and I had to match the information within the turret AND the upgrades popup. In the end, there was just too much checking and drawing for me to code, and I couldn't handle it.

So, we are using the regular "Levels" system. But to compensate, we are using around 9 turrets instead of 6. Expect Antiviruses.
Gamerz
Gamerz

Number of posts : 38
Warning :

GameMaker TowerDefense Left_bar_bleue20 / 10020 / 100GameMaker TowerDefense Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum